Happy taper weekend for me- two days ago 🙂 I ran 12 miles for my long run this weekend on Sunday. No leg cramping to be heard of! Fantastic news! On top of that, it was perfect outside- cool and dryish. I could have run all day (I like to think when I don’t have to). But an hour and a half-ish was just enough for my lazy Sunday. Because after that, we went to Chase Farm and picked our pumpkins!! I can’t explain how fun it is to take b to these things now that he can
walk run around. It made my day. I’m a large child still and I’m probably far more excited about carving a pumpkin than my boy- who will be far more excited to smear pumpkin guts all over the kitchen…
Saturday I ran a tempo 8 miles (thanks to my sissy for ‘sitting beanie). I really tried to push myself to work on this speed thing- I came pretty close to keeping the entire 8 miles at a 7:15 pace (except on hills- they get me). I was exhausted for the rest of the day…but, I did it!
Last night Bri had a meeting after work because he is an important man, so I ran a quick easy 5 miler when he got home around 7p. It was dark already (booo), but I actually kind of liked it- it was peaceful. There were a lot of people out walkin’ around. I guess we all like the dark. We are bats. I scurried home so I could give my big boy a kiss goodnight and brush his four little teethies, though. And by big boy, I obviously mean Brian 😉
Finally, today- cross day. Some sort of strength DVD of course- with Braxton, my spotter.
So I’m all caught up with the training thing- life has been pretty busy so I haven’t really sat down to write. But I found this recipe today that I cannot wait to try. I make Brax PB, honey, and banana toast which he very much enjoys. Now I shall try this jam that isn’t super high in fake sugar like the store stuff- but is super easy to make! Best of both worlds! Blueberries aren’t in season right now, so I’ll probably buy them frozen. Or I may just have to go pick some winter raspberries tomorrow and use those babies. I’m quite sure this can be made with any fruit out there. Deeeelicious. I can just taste it now… (Also- the blog I borrowed the recipe from is fan freakin tastic- check it out!).
Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste (or other liquid sweetener)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium-sized non-stick pot, bring the blueberries and 3 tbsp of maple syrup to a low boil. Stir frequently, and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer for about 5 minutes. Lightly mash the blueberries with a potato masher or fork, leaving some for texture.
2. Stir in the chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook the mixture down until it thickens to your desired consistency, or about 15 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the pot.
3. Once the jam is thick, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Add more maple syrup to taste if desired. Enjoy on toast, English muffins, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, oat bars, tarts, cookies, banana soft serve, smoothies, and more. The jam should keep for at least a week in an air-tight container in the fridge.